Draw On The Mountain – SKETCHBOOK COMPETITION
All entrants must agree to the terms and conditions of Sketchbook Competition
ENTRY TO THE SKETCHBOOK COMPETITION IS OPEN NOW AND CLOSES ON THE 2ND OCTOBER.
Sketchbook Competition begins 15th September. Entries due 4th Oct.
Sketchbooks can be collected from Saturday 13th September from these locations:
Wild Valley Art Park 47574791 www.wildvalley.com.au
Norman Lindsay Gallery 4751 4695 www.normanlindsay.com.au
Blue Mountains Cultural Centre 4780 5410 bluemountainsculturalcentre.com.au
Sketchbooks are to be completed during the festival dates of 15th September – 4th October. Artists can take as little or as long as they need to complete 8 sketches over these dates.
All sketchbooks must have visited at least one of the Sketchbook Locations to be eligible. More than one festival location is encouraged. Areas surrounding festival locations (the Blue Mountains and Lithgow regions) can also be included in sketchbooks.
Entries must be completed and handed into Wild Valley Art Park on or before 10am Saturday 4th October.
Entries to the exhibition can be for sale or marked Not For Sale. Works sold will incur a 30% commission taken from sale price.
Sketches can be Portrait or Landscape oriented. Sketchbooks contain 12 pages – Feel free to rip out any mistake pages but please leave 8 in. (min. 6 for under 16yr category). Extra Sketchbooks can be purchased if needed. Pages can be drawn on both front and reverse sides of paper.
CATEGORIES – Open Category
1st Prize -$5000 Donated by Wild Valley (acquisitive award)
$300 B&B package at Norman Lindsay Cottage
$300 Framing voucher from Hope Tree Art & Framing
$200 Whispering Pines Cottages and Suites voucher
$150 Vouchers from Mountain High Pies
Student Under 16 – Category
1st $100 Prize
2nd Prize Art Pack
3rd Prize -$50 Wild Valley Art Park Voucher
1. Blue Mountains National Park Glenbrook – Glenbrook
2. Norman Lindsay Gallery – 14 Norman Lindsay Crescent Faulconbridge
3. Water Nymph Dell – Wentworth Falls
4. Wild Valley Art Park – 321 Blaxland Rd Wentworth Falls (cnr Cook Rd)
5. Olympic Rock Lookout – Olympian Pde Leura. Unsignposted dirt path opp. Balmoral Rd. Beside amphitheatre fence.
6. Scenic World – Corner Violet Street & Cliff Drive Katoomba.
7. Mount Hay – Mount Hay Road Leura. First part/some access sealed, then 4WD only. (approx 15km)
8. Cultural Centre Viewing Platform – Enter through the Cultural Centre, 30 Parke St Katoomba
9. Rhododendron Garden – Blackheath
10. Megalong Valley
11. Blast Furnace Park – Enter off Inch St, Lithgow. (Turn right just after the overhead rail bridge)
12. Mt. Wilson
The Draw On The Mountain Festival and Sketchbook Competition have endeavoured to ensure the safety of all festival participants. It cannot, however, be held liable for any injury or loss of, or damage to, personal property, however caused, except to the extent to which it is unlawful to exclude such liability under the applicable law. You are advised to take out insurance against accident and personal injury.
1. Deadline for entry to competition is 11am Sunday 29th, entries must be handed in or delivered to Wild Valley Art Park no later than 4pm Saturday 4th October 2014 to be included in judging.
2. Sketchbooks can also be handed in before 4th October on any day between 10am-4pm from 27th September – 4th October.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Sketchbook must be completed and created within the Sketchbook Festival dates 15th September – 19th October.
2. All sketchbooks must have visited at least one of the Sketchbook Locations to be eligible, more than one festival location is encouraged (see sketchbook Locations and Map)
3. Sketchbooks must have a minimum 8 pages completed.
4. Sketchbook must be the original work of the person stated.
5. I agree to comply with the terms and conditions of entry
6. Student entrants must be under 16
7. Winning entries agree to have their work used for the promotion of the Draw On The Mountain Festival and Sketchbook Competition.
8. Materials for sketchbooks can include: Pencil, charcoal, graphite, watercolour, ink, crayon, pastel, collage and paint. Although sketchbooks must be predominately drawing based, incorporating use of line, quality of line and drawing techniques.
9. Drawings can go over 2 pages, (book open = A3 size) but no extra pages or extensions to pages permitted.
Sketchpaper in books is revive brand 100% recycled Australian made paper. Paper thickness is 200gsm. Paper can hold small amounts of wet media; ink paint, paint watercolour etc but please be aware it is a sketching based competition and the overuse of water colours and paint will exclude its eligibility.
For exhibition you must use fixative on all charcoal and graphite drawings.
We also recommend pressing your book flat for 24 hours prior to submission.
Sketchbook judging criteria
• Creatively extending the drawing medium
• Originality and conceptual strength
• Exploration of the festival locations
• Expressive drawing is encouraged – incorporating use of line and drawing techniques
Damien Minton – Director of Watters Gallery
Gria Shead – Artist
Selena Seifert – Artist and Director Wild Valley Art Park
Sketchbooks will be on display for the Sketchbook Exhibition Sunday 5th October – Sunday 19th October.
Exhibition Opening & Award Ceremony Sunday 5th October 5pm-7pm.
Sketchbooks can be included for sale, If you which your work to be for sale please include a sale price and tick box. Commission on sold works is 30%.
Return of Works – Unsold works and works not for sale must be collected on either Sunday 19th October between 3-5pm or Monday 20th October or Saturday 25th October 10am-4pm.